The Scuola Grande di San Rocco is a brotherhood of laymen founded in 1478.
The profound popular veneration for St. Rocco, whose relic was already in possession of the Brotherhood since 1485, contributed to its strong growth until becoming the richest School of the city.
It was then that he decided to build the new imposing monumental headquarters calling then Tintoretto to paint his most famous series of paintings with scenes from the Old and New Testaments. It is the only of the ancient Great Schools to have survived the fall of the Republic.
It is an exceptional place where over sixty paintings are preserved in their original location in a building from its construction has hardly changed.
Today the association is still active and still performs the ancient charitable tasks, besides taking care of his remarkable artistic heritage.